Saturday, April 5, 2008

skipping class- and playing at the arcade!

So yesterday was my wonderful first-class at noon day, which means i slept a good 10+ hours and had lots of exciting dreams as well. I remember playing some sort of virtual war game, and being thrown in WWII and killing Nazis. It was fun.

Anyway, functional was pretty good. Did orthogonality and stuff that we learned the basics of in linear algebra. Nobody really looked at the homework he gave us- I think I did a problem out of six right, and he was nice and blamed himself for not preparing us well enough. He reiterated that infinite dimensional spaces are very hard to digest. He told us more about the final, and again told us not to worry about it- apparently nobody ever gets below a C. He pretty much tells us what is going to be on it before, so with lots of studying, everything should go fine.

He got so excited he talked like 20 minutes over. So my next class was about 15+ minutes away, and I was very hungry. I can't function without food! So I went to the gyro place, and there was a big long line. I had to wait. So I waited, and got food. By then I would have missed half of class already, and that would have been a huge pain- since I would have to copy notes as well, so I just didn't go.

Instead, me and a friend went to the arcade. Haha. Played some jurassic park but the guns were being stupid. So we played the machine gun game. We pretty much saved the world from weird aliens. My machine gun vibrated- and with this game you don't have to reload. So it was fun.

Then, went to a friend's house to have dinner. It was amazing! A friend, who is Ukranian, cooked some varenyk (which are perogies) with some yummy pepper stew, cabbage rolls, sausage, and finishing with some sort of rice cake. There was even lemon meringue pie. I was satiated.

Then there was a party. I stayed for a while but I didn't feel like walking home, so I left early enough to take public transportation back. Copied my math notes there- that was productive!

So today, I was thinking about doing something exciting, but the internet told me there was a 60% chance of rain. So I didn't go anywhere, and of course it didn't rain.

Was going to go over to a friends to do homework, but she was sick. Didn't get much work done. I did finish reading and listening to La Boheme, which I just got back from!

I did review some number theory, though. I'm thinking that subject is less and less fun now.

Got distracted and watched all the Lost mobisodes on youtube. They were okay. The last one was the most worthwhile.

Then I went to the opera. I had the cheap tickets (about $6) so I was way high up. This was the chandelier.


It was absolutely gorgeous. The music, the sets, the singing, the costumes: everything fit together. The opera was in Italian, and there were subtitles- but in Hungarian. I knew pretty much what was going on.

To me- for some reason, perhaps, the first act was the most powerful. The 2nd act was unique since there were 50+ people on stage. In the third act, the set was extremely beautiful. There were houses off to the left and right of the stage, and the middle was lined with lampposts, with snow on the ground, and snow was coming down during important moments.

My only complaint is that there were way too many intermissions. There was one between the 2nd and 3rd act, about 15 minutes, where I had a grapefruit juice and piece of chocolate pie (all four about $4. I'm sure it would have been at least $10 in the UK!). Then I went back to my set and I was really tired, yawning a lot.

After the third act (maybe 20 or so min later), there was another fifteen minute intermission. I just sat in my seat and wanted the show to go on! My seat was right next to a big huuge column, which was annoying as well. Next Friday I see Swan Lake, up in these high seats-- I wonder how that will be.

For some reason, I'm really tired now. Maybe tomorrow I'll do something? Lets see how long I'll sleep.

No comments: