Wednesday, March 5, 2008

routine continued---

it seems as if my life is rather routine now and not as interesting- for non-mathers any more. i guess thats how it is when you get settled, which is nice, but perhaps not as interesting for you guys~ i hope you don't get bored on my days!

had class-- problem solving day in number theory was fun. had yet another gyro for lunch, this time a falafel one and a baklava. only 600 ft! and character theory wasn't bad, we saw how to find the centers from a group. we also talked about p groups. they are interesting! for every g in G, their order is some power of p. we talked a bit about infinite p groups- just for fun- they include Zp-infinity- which has all finite proper subgroups, and some sort of Monster group, which is an infinite non-abelian p-group which i think i'd like to study more about later.


had done some homework in my two hour break between classes. also bought my functional analysis book which was ridiculously expensive. it is a 'methods of modern mathematical physics book', and ran for almost $200. it was not required for the class, but I definitely feel much more comfortable having reference material for the stuff we're learning. the guy who runs the program was telling me how i probably spent the same amount of money on books as 3-4 normal people combined! i replied that i will cherish these books for the rest of my life, and they will definitely be on my bookshelf when i make professor.

tonight i really felt like spaghetti, but i didn't feel like going out to buy the meat. so i just had a sandwich and a salad for dinner. i had just bought this bagged salad, it was rather bitter, and the ceasar dressing i had bought was rather over-milky, but thats life. i think i'll go out to the mall tomorrow- if i have time.

wanted to take a nap, but decided to solve a number theory problem instead. we had to find all numbers s.t. 49 divides (n-1)(n-8) + 28. it took a while for me to see it in the right way, but when i did- it was pretty and obvious. thats how i feel number theory is. Csaba says advanced number theory isn't much fun- using analysis and stuff, but I think the end result might be completely worth it.

then i watched Terminator- the Demon Hand. it was an AWESOME episode. dr. silberman returns in a very ironic way. and the ending was very elegant yet creepy at the same time. there are only 2 more episodes that exist for this season, i really really hope that more people watch it and fox brings it back.

i tried to do h/w afterwards but that didn't quite work. tomorrow i have to be in class at 8:15! and i will hopefully be done at 8:00 PM-ish. I have a break from 10-12, where I will hopefully accomplish my logic homework, which is due tomorrow, and have not yet started. and there is a math talk at 4:15 about 'the theory and application of random graphs'. I don't know much about this stuff, but it is a Hungarian speciality, so I will definitely go and see whether or not i really enjoy it. and then its off to my friends to do character theory! it shouldn't be tooo bad since now i understand these questions~ hooray!
at least spring break is getting closer!

No comments: