Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I hate the morning

So, I got up around 7:15, having to go to a Budapest housing office to register my address. Since I already had the student visa (unlike some others), the process was supposed to be much easier.

We were supposed to leave the college at 8, we didn't leave until 8:40 AM. I should have known that didn't bode well.

I was able to buy my set theory book while waiting, though. And it wasn't too expensive!

So we journeyed along, by metro, then bus, to the office. Nobody was there, except us. The office was closed on Wednesday mornings to everybody but students. I should have realized that something was wrong when Anna, our student coordinator, was talking furiously to the lady in Hungarian.
Apparently in that section of town, the phone cables and phone lines had all been stolen!!! And it would be 2 weeks until they could be replaced! Ah, the joys of being in an ex-communist country. At least it wasn't as bad as stories that we shared about complete bridges in rural Russia being stolen!





This is a picture of where we were. All the apartments looked exactly the same!

So then we decided to go to Obuda to just finish up with all this today, which was far away on the other side of the Danube. We finally got there, I studying some combinatorics on the way, and the process went rather smoothly. I greeted the lady in Hungarian, and she said she spoke English.


By this time, number theory was over. I crossed the street, looked in the Tesco, and had a big lunch at this Chinese buffet place. I had thin noodles with chicken on top, and a very interesting Fanta that tasted just like watermelon.


Then I headed on a bus- while the others still weren't finished- and got off at Astoria, near the Renyi Institute.


So I checked out the library, and there was a little dark study room where I studied Number Theory and did my Logic homework. There was a young man across me, who I don't think was older than me, reading an introduction to algebraic geometry. There was an elderly gentlemen reading a newspaper in Hungarian.

It was all first relatively indimidating- so many math magazines lined the area, even in Russian, Chinese, etc. etc., but it wasn't a bad place to study. I then wandered around the library for 20 minutes, which had all the imaginable math journals, including mathematical logic, operators, mathematical psychology, topology, and numerous more. I was looking through some Journals of Functional Analysis, trying to find Professor Feldman's name, because I thought I remembered he published in that before. I looked, and I checked later and he did, but I couldn't find that exact copy.


So I had CHA. Today we talked about the First Orthogonality Relation in character tables. Pelikan went 10 minutes over, he was really excited.

Got back, was very tired. Didn't want to nap. Watched the season finale of Prison Break!

But I was too tired to do math. I napped for an hour and a half, ate a late dinner (of leftover pasta, and a new tasty coconut desert cake), and did some homework, including reading a lot of set theory.

And OH. The tasty treat I had yesterday was a cabbage strudel. I did a quick google search and I came up with this great article http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/12/29/opinion/edephron.php by Nora Ephron, director of Sleepless in Seattle, about her wonderful thoughts on its taste.

Now I'm tired again. I hate it when I have to get up early in the morning! And I have to do it again tomorrow!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

closed to everybody but students, now that's a good idea.